It has been used medicinally for many years because of its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
More recently Forskolin extract has been lauded for its potential role in stimulating weight loss, and it is this property that has brought this natural plant extract to the attention of the dieting world.
Key Benefits of Forskolin extract at a glance:
- Weight loss is not the only claimed benefit. Early research on rabbits suggests that Forskolin, in the form of eye-drops, may help to reduce intraocular pressure and help prevent the development of glaucoma.
- Another promising study published in the Journal of International Medical Research in 2006, suggested that Forskolin weight loss capsules significantly reduced asthma attacks in both children and adults. It has also been found to help skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- According to the charismatic American TV personality Dr Oz, it is the presence in high quantity of a chemical named coleus forskolii in the plant that helps reduce weight by preventing the formation and accumulation of fat and increasing the body’s metabolism, which in turn speeds the rate at which fat is burned.
- Additional benefits are that it may lower cholesterol and increases the production of protein, which stimulates muscle mass.
Is there any clinical evidence proving Forskolin as a weight loss aid?
STUDY 1 – The first published clinical trial examining the effect of Forskolin extract on body composition, testosterone, metabolic rate and blood pressure was published in Obesity Research in August 2005.
The study involved thirty obese and overweight men and found that body fat and fat mass decreased in participants taking Forskolin compared to those taking a placebo. In addition, testosterone levels increased in those taking the supplement.
STUDY 2 – A similar study on women conducted at the University of Bath was slightly less promising: it found that it did not promote weight loss “but may help mitigate weight gain in overweight females”.
STUDY 3 – The results of the latest study, involving rats, was published in Biotech Histochem in 2014 and confirmed that Forskolin stimulates lipolysis and inhibits body weight increase in rats.
The limited scientific evidence to date appears to suggest that Forskolin may well have a significant role to play in reducing obesity and preventing weight gain.
What are the side effects?
Reported side effects include headache, fluctuating heartbeat and low blood pressure. These symptoms are probably caused because Forskolin affects the muscles in the heart and in the walls of blood vessels. The increased heartbeat and widening of the blood cells results in lowering of the blood pressure.
While this can be beneficial to most people, in a few cases the lowering of blood pressure has been sufficient to cause dizziness and nausea. The supplement should be avoided by those taking medication for blood pressure or blood thinning and by those with heart conditions.
Customer reviews, feedback and complaints
Feedback on Forskolin supplements is variable, as would be expected given the large numbers of Forskolin weight loss products on the market, though in the main they are largely positive, achieving between three and five stars (out of a maximum five).
Before deciding which supplement to buy, check out the genuine customer reviews. Common reports are that the supplement does indeed help to reduce belly fat, but that results will only be achieved where users restrict calorific intake and take exercise. Many users suggest that Forskolin extract reduces appetite and hunger.
Our conclusion – Should you buy Forskolin extract?
Whilst the very number of dietary supplements acclaimed by Dr Oz makes many of us skeptical, Forskolin benefits from some strong, if limited scientific evidence to support its claims.
The supplement also seems to have medical benefits beyond losing weight: it may reduce cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as improving conditions such as asthma, psoriasis and glaucoma.
Side effects are relatively few, except in those who suffer from conditions affecting heart or blood pressure. Overall, then, the growing body of literature on Forskolin extract suggests that this might be a supplement worth investing in.
Recommended Forskolin dosage…experts recommend 1 tablet a day, with a minimum of 125 mg of pure forskolin extract in each tablet for best results.
What should I look for in a Forskolin weight loss supplement?
Not all brands are of similar quality, and some are likely to prove less effective than others. Most supplements we have seen contain as little as 20% pure Forskolin extract, though some contain much less.
- Avoid buying any supplement where the amount of Forskolin is not clearly displayed on the label.
- Purchase only from manufacturers that have earned a solid reputation in the market.
Look for manufacturers that offer risk free money-back guarantees
For those who find it difficult to choose from the plethora of similar supplements on the market, Evolution Slimming’s Forskolin 125 might be a sensible choice.
Produced by a manufacturer with an outstanding reputation, this product contains pure coleus forskohlii extract and nothing else. The 125 in its title relates to the 125mg of foskolin extract in each dose, and this accords with recommendations from the scientists.
Evolution Slimming is one of those manufacturers that is so confident in its products it is prepared to offer its customers a money-back guarantee.